Department : Human Resources
Division : Executive
Job Type : Full Time
FLSA Status : Exempt
Location : Flowood
Supervisor : VP of Human Resources
The primary purpose of this position is to manage the hiring and onboarding procedures of new employees, ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, works closely with VP of Human Resources and acts as backup as needed.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities:
The following duties are normal for this job and should not be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Plans, evaluates and makes recommendations regarding the operations of the Mississippi Lottery Corporation’s human resources department including organizational restructuring, employee relations, training and professional development, recruitment and staffing, benefits and total compensation.
- Plans, evaluates and makes recommendations regarding the operations of the Mississippi Lottery Corporation to include all functions and departments.
- Reviews, writes and reviews HR policies as directed by the VP of HR.
- Ensures Human Resources is responsive to all departments within the MLC.
- Ensures annual performance appraisals are completed on all employees and follows up with employees and their supervisors as necessary.
- Develops cross-training, to ensure departments to have adequate coverage of responsibilities during employee absences.
- Ensures all MLC employees adhere to MLC policies and procedures working with departmental managers to correct any identified deficiencies.
- Reviews federal, state and local employment laws and regulations to ensure corporate compliance; develops and administers human resource policies and procedures in accordance with applicable laws and regulations including but not limited to: ADA, EEOC, FLSA, FMLA, COBRA, HIPPA, Sexual Harassment and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.
- Ensures employee records and documents are properly completed, securely filed and maintained according to the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Facilitates with the coordination of the Recruitment and Staffing function
- Ensures all internal candidates receive communication regarding positions for which they have applied.
- Coordinates all offers of employment with hiring managers.
- Develops and forwards communication to candidates not selected for employment.
- Provides direct input toward the effective development and administration of Employee Compensation and Benefit plans.
- Participates in the development of an effective and competitive compensation and benefits strategy geared toward supporting employee retention and health and wellness.
- Ensures the MLC obtains the best value available for all employee benefit offerings.
- Manages the Employee Relations function.
- Provides advice and assistance on employee management issues.
- Facilitates in the employee grievance process.
- Investigate complaints of employee harassment.
- Reviews employee code of conduct matters.
- Assists and/or provides guidance with the disciplinary process to include but not limited to the documentation of employee policy violations, employee development plans and termination process.
- Facilitates in the unemployment process.
- Assists with questions regarding leaves of absences.
- Participates with departmental interviews and employee disciplinary actions.
- Works closely with finance on payroll and benefit costs
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organizations HRIS and talent management systems.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree preferred, in the field of Business/Human Resources or extensive experience within the HR field serving as a manager or above. SHRM-CP and/or SHRM-SCP certification a plus.
Knowledge of ADP payroll, Blue Cross/Blue Shield and other employee benefit programs preferred.
A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a qualified human resource position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those which must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; demonstrate dexterity, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties of this position.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and fax machines. The noise level in the office is usually moderate.
• Personal Time Off (PTO)
• Floating Holidays
• Employee Medical & Dental Insurance
• Retirement Plan (401(a) & 457)
• Business Casual Dress
• Continuing Education
• Professional Environment
• Competitive pay
& much more!